Tuesday, November 13, 2007

i heart coffee

I sat down to chat with a friend regarding the coffee industry yesterday and we watched a piece of http://www.blackgoldmovie.com/ . His reply was "yeah, but you could start to question every industry... the jeans you wear for instance" and so on and so on. I was disappointed that the poignancy of the message seemed to bounce right off his heart.

Isn't that what we should be doing... questioning? Yeah, it can be a bit overwhelming when you start to actually think about your purchases before you make them (revolutionary concept), but as consumers of 1/4 of the world's wealth we have a choice: we can either continue to be a source of bitterness and resentment as the gap only widens b/w the rich & the poor and the poor become more aware of it (through modern technology) --OR-- we can conside what we have a blessing and use it to in turn bless others.

While you digest, I'm going to return to the topic of the coffee industry. If you, like most Americans, are guilty of sipping your daily $5 latte from the green monster without any regard as to the sweat, blood, and tears on the other side of the coffee inside... you might enjoy
http://www.blackgoldmovie.com/. Heck, that may even be you in the movie.

I've seen this movie a dozen times and while I have refined where I spend my discretionary income... I still feel very helpless in alot of ways. As I stand on the edge of hopefully opening my own shop(s) in the near future, my heart is to connect with growers/ farmers all over the world. But where to start?
http://www.growersfirst.org/ is a great initiative and they have been very helpful.

In any case... just questions tonight and really too much blabbering b/c I'm tired and need to be working on my business plan.

peace, love, and coffee beans

No comments: